Ardler Parish History
1833: An advert appeared in the local press (Dundee Advertiser) for ground to be feued at Whitehills. It was planned to create a new village and to call it Washington. The new railway from Dundee would pass through the newly created village en route to Coupar Angus.
1835: The plan for the new village included a church as well as a school. Initially the new villagers were part of the parish of Meigle. Some gravestones in the Meigle churchyard confirm this.
1837: The railway line to Coupar Angus opened. A depot had been built at Washington as well as a few houses, but certainly not as many as had initially been expected.
1840: The village school was completed. A passenger station called Ardler was opened near West Ardler Farm.
1847: The goods depot was demolished and a new station built for both passengers and goods between East and West Ardler Farms. The village gradually became known as Ardler.
1882: On 22 May, Peter Carmichael of Arthurstone met with the Reverend James Smith and other ‘Trustees of Ardler Church’. They agreed that a church would be built at Ardler. Peter Carmichael would grant a site and contribute funds for both Kirk and Manse. The church was to be a memorial to his son James Drummond Carmichael who had died in 1881 aged 31.
1885: Ardler church opened under its first Minister, Reverend Robert Milne. Its parish encompassed parts of the neighbouring parishes of Coupar Angus, Kettins and Meigle. The Church and Manse were built of red standstone. The church had a very tall spire which was visible from all around. The interior was regarded as one of the most beautiful in the Valley of Strathmore with the best Baltic pinewood and intricate carvings above every doorway. The church bell was cast in Whitechapel in London and was named ‘Grace Margaret’ in memory of Drummond Carmichael’s mother who had died 10 years before him.
1959: The Reverend Peter Fenton died and permission was not given to appoint another Minister. From this time a new charge was formed with a link to Kettins. The Reverend Roland M Boyd Scott became Minister of the linked parish of Kettins and Ardler. The congregations remained separate running their own affairs.
1985: The Church centenary was celebrated. Evening services continued but quickly reduced.
1986: The Church was closed, sold and developed as a house.The parishioners joined with Kettins and Meigle into a single new parish.